Cause and effect By Neph

(Image taken from  http://jollyjus.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/crossroad-once-again/)


This is simply a blog about choices. We've all been in that place where we wonder about the choices we've made in the past -distant or near-  and the effect they had on leading as to a present we either prefer or regret.

A few days ago i was having coffee with my parents and my aunt, and we started talking about the past for a little bit and they told me something about my grandmother i didn't know. A very interesting love story,that got me thinking. Anyway they didn't know many details, but the basic story is that my grandmother was taken involuntarily to Germany when she was young - during the war i assume- and there she met someone. I don't know if they were together or anything but she loved him and he loved her too. They were both Greeks, she was from Corinth and he was from Crete and  when the war ended she decided to come back home and he decided to stay in Germany. He told her to stay with him, but she chose to come back. Back at that time, especially in small towns and villages, families used to match their children and get them to marry without really asking them. So my grandma married someone she didn't even know and had 4 daughters. She ended up loving him in time though. But the surprising part is that when my parents went to Crete for vacation (which is 35-40 years later), she told them to look for him and tell him about her and to see how he looked like now. Sadly my parents don't remember the name, so i can't look him up now. In the end, my grandma died without ever seeing him again, wondering how his life turned out.

I don't know, this story shocked me in many ways. Some of us think that whatever we do now, in the end everything will turn out as it should. That if something is really for us (a love, a friendship or even a job), sometime, somehow it will reappear in front of us when we can make the right choice to undo a wrong one. Destiny and the ''When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it'' crap.

Well, that's crap. Choices define us and make us our present selves; whether this self is the best, the worst or a 'something in-between' outcome. I personally consider myself as a good outcome made of very bad choices. I've made many.. many terrible choices and i continue to make some more, even though i know they're wrong. For some reason i can't control myself in that. Aristotle said ''we are what we repeatedly do'' and of course he was right. You hear people saying ''I'm not a bad person'' when all their actions say the opposite. So sorry to inform you but it's really all about choices.

So, the moral of the day is that life passes anyway, and you most probably don't get second chances. It's really your choice to either live with regrets, or face whatever obstacles or fears or doubts you have and enjoy your choices to the fullest.


Good luck,
Neph

Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις